Tour Aotearoa - Section 1
Cape Reinga to Auckland
This is the epitome of the far north with stands of giant kauri, quiet roads, quiet towns, wild beaches and some great swimming opportunities… cycle touring doesn’t get much better than this!
We have divided the 3000km Kennett Bros Tour Aotearoa into six 7-12 day sections so that you you can enjoy riding and exploring that section in detail - without the hassle of carrying your gear or finding food and accommodation. Our sections loosely follow this classic route and also include plenty of quirky extras, stop-overs and special places in the true Escape Adventures' style.
Section 1: Cape Reinga to Auckland
What better way to explore the sub tropical far north of New Zealand than by bike? Starting from culturally significant Cape Reinga, we ride the ‘once in a lifetime’ 90 Mile Beach and down the Kauri Coast. This is the epitome of the far north with stands of giant kauri, quiet roads, quiet towns, wild beaches and some great swimming opportunities… cycle touring doesn’t get much better than this!
Finish: Auckland City
- A total distance of 420km spread over 6 days of biking.
- 50-105km riding per day on wonderfully remote and scenic, quiet gravelled and sealed roads, cycle trails and a 84km beach section.
- For a coastal area there are some surprisingly big ups, big downs, rolling coastal terrain and of course there is also some flat terrain.
- A hardtail mountain bike or a touring bike with off road tyres is the ideal bike.
- The route is designed for pedal bikers with a good level of biking fitness / or E-Bikes.
- Hire Bikes are available locally. Contact us if you plan on hiring a bike.
- Dirt/gravel road biking experience will add to the enjoyment of your tour.
- Our ‘Sag Wagon’ support is available (most of the time) should you need a break from the saddle.
We will organise the logistics, book accommodation and organise all included meals. Two of our awesome Escape Adventures tour leaders will ride with you, and provide daily briefings, first aid and mechanical support. Our trusty ’Sag Wagon’ support vehicle will carry your luggage, has lunch, snacks and water, and is there if you need a break from the saddle. There are times when the vehicle will need to take a different route and will meet up with you where it can. We will supply you with daily route notes and maps so that you can ride at your own pace throughout the day.
- Included in the tour: All breakfasts and riding snacks, three lunches and one dinner.
- The other meals (as per the daily itinerary below) are in places where there are dinning and wining options available - therefore at your own cost and choosing. (This gives you more control over the cost of your tour AND spreads the love supporting local businesses!)
- We are most definitely able to cater for vegetarians and special diets and if this includes you, it is essential to advise us of this before your tour begins, so that the support vehicle can be stocked with the necessary supplies.
Typical Included Meals:
- Breakfasts - Fresh fruit, muesli, toast and spreads, hot drinks. Cooked breakfast on occasions.
- Lunches - Picnic style lunches, fresh salads, cold meats, cheese & bread.
- Snacks - Fresh fruit, salty snacks, home baking.
- Evening Meal - Prepared by your tour leaders or local accommodation.
All accommodation for the seven nights of the tour is included. We have explored and chosen the most fitting accommodation we could find to work in with the riding route. For this section we will be using cabins and motels. Accommodation is on a share twin basis. If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker. If you do not wish to share a single supplement will apply. Single room options may be limited in some locations.
This cycle tour includes rides of 50-105km per day. Please do read about the daily riding distances taking note of the riding terrain in detailded tour itinerary and prepare accordingly. The more prepared you are the more you will enjoy your adventure! Preparing for your cycle tour should involve: - riding on gravel, unpaved terrain with some hills. - 2-3 times a week with rides of 30-50km in length.
Itinerary: Cape Reinga to Auckland
Day 1: Arrive in Kaitaia. Flights available from Auckland with Great Barrier Air. Meet with your tour leaders & fellow bikers at 5pm for your pre-departure meeting and first meal together.
Day 2: We rise early for a 2 hour vehicle transfer to Cape Reinga to begin our cycle tour. 90 Mile Beach leaves strong memories in the minds of all Tour Aotearoa riders - a crazy way to start… but there you have it. I hope we get a north-easterly!
Day 3: Day two on the bike and its time to start preparing our hill legs for the journey ahead… The day promises stunning NZ bush and views of the Hokianga Harbour. We end the day’s ride with a 10 min ferry to Rawene.
Day 4: The Kauri Coast cycle way fully immerses us into the far north - riding through the Waipoua sub tropical forest dominated by giant Kauri and the famous Tane Mahuta.
Day 5: Continuing down the kauri coast, this is the epitome of the far north with quiet roads, quiet towns, wild beaches and some great swimming opportunities.
Day 6: What a clever way to get to the centre of Auckland while avoiding the traffic! We head south down the remote and quiet Pouto Peninsula through farmland and the mouth of the Kaipara inland harbour. We cross the harbour by boat (3 hrs) and pedal into Helensville.
Day 7: We’re not in the far north any more! But suddenly in the centre of NZ’s largest, busiest and traffic craziest city. Thanks to Auckland Transport for the convenient cycle routes for getting us there alive!
Day 8: Our final breakfast together on section 1. For those finishing here - airport shuttles can be arranged. For those continuing on - a well earned rest day and time to explore the city.
*Actual night stops and daily distances may vary depending on accommodation availability.
+Bike Hire if required $300
- Any two consecutive sections - 5% off the tour prices.
- Full North Island. 26 days | NZD $9,800
+Bike Hire if required $750
- Full Tour Aotearoa. 49 days | NZD $18,200
+Bike Hire if required $1,200
Singles: You DON'T have to pay a single supplement!
- If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker.
- If you do not wish to share that is fine too, but a single supplement will apply.
Included in your tour:
- 7 nights accommodation
- Meals as per tour itinerary.
- Two Escape Adventures tour leaders
- Local support driver
- Support vehicle & bike trailer
- 2x boat transfers
Tour Price does NOT include: getting to and from Kaitaia/Auckland, optional activities, personal equipment & some meals as per the detailed itinerary.