Tour Aotearoa - Section 6
Wanaka to Bluff
Starting gently to make the most of the quiet and seldom visited Southern Lakes towns of Wanaka and Queenstown and then on to the contrasting open farmlands of Southland and famous carrot cake.
We have divided the 3000km Kennett Bros Tour Aotearoa into six 7-12 day sections so that you you can enjoy riding and exploring that section in detail - without the hassle of carrying your gear or finding food and accommodation. Our sections loosely follow this classic route and also include plenty of quirky extras, stop-overs and special places in the true Escape Adventures' style.
Section 6: Wanaka to Slope Point
Have you ever wanted to ride to the end of the earth? Well now’s your chance! Starting gently to make the most of the quiet and seldom visited Southern Lakes towns of Wanaka and Queenstown and then on to the contrasting open farmlands of Southland and famous carrot cake.
Start: Wanaka - transfers from Queenstown can be arranged.
- A total distance of 330km spread over 5 days of biking.
- 37-103km riding per day on wonderfully remote and scenic, quiet gravelled and sealed roads, cycle trails and an optional beach section.
- As you have come to know there are some big ups, big downs, rolling and also some flat terrain.
- A hardtail mountain bike or a touring bike with off road tyres is the ideal bike.
- The route is designed for pedal bikers with a good level of biking fitness / or E-Bikes.
- Hire Bikes are available locally. Contact us if you plan on hiring a bike.
- Dirt/gravel road biking experience will add to the enjoyment of your tour.
- Our ‘Sag Wagon’ support is available (most of the time) should you need a break from the saddle.
We will organise the logistics, book accommodation and organise all included meals. Two of our awesome Escape Adventures tour leaders will ride with you, and provide daily briefings, first aid and mechanical support. Our trusty ’Sag Wagon’ support vehicle will carry your luggage, has lunch, snacks and water, and is there if you need a break from the saddle. There are times when the vehicle will need to take a different route and will meet up with you where it can. We will supply you with daily route notes and maps so that you can ride at your own pace throughout the day.
- Included in the tour: All breakfasts and riding snacks, and three lunches.
- The other meals (as per the daily itinerary below) are in places where there are dinning and wining options available - therefore at your own cost and choosing. (This gives you more control over the cost of your tour AND spreads the love supporting local businesses!)
- We are most definitely able to cater for vegetarians and special diets and if this includes you, it is essential to advise us of this before your tour begins, so that the support vehicle can be stocked with the necessary supplies.
Typical Included Meals:
Breakfasts - Fresh fruit, muesli, toast and spreads, hot drinks. Cooked breakfast on occasions.
Lunches - Picnic style lunches, fresh salads, cold meats, cheese & bread.
Snacks - Fresh fruit, salty snacks, home baking.
All accommodation for the six nights of the tour is included. We have explored and chosen the most fitting accommodation we could find to work in with the riding route. For this section we will be using cabins, motels, hotels and a farmstay.
Accommodation is on a share twin basis. If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker. If you do not wish to share a single supplement will apply. Single room options may be limited in some locations.
This cycle tour includes rides of 37-103km per day. Please do read about the daily riding distances taking note of the riding terrain in the itinerary below and prepare accordingly. The more prepared you are the more you will enjoy your adventure! Preparing for your cycle tour should involve: - riding on gravel, unpaved terrain with some hills. - 2-3 times a week with rides of 30-50km in length.
Itinerary: Wanaka to Slope Point
Day 1: Arrive in Wanaka. Transfers from Queenstown can be arranged if required. Meet with your tour leaders & fellow bikers at 5pm for your pre-departure meeting and first meal together.
Day 2: The Crown Range road is the highest main road in NZ at 1076m and today we ride over it!
Day 3: A cruisy mornings ride on cycle trail takes us into Queenstown. This gives us a free afternoon to make the most New Zealand’s busiest tourist town… while its not!
Day 4: We begin the day with a 45min boat trip across Lake Wakatipu. Today is BIG, big scenery, big day, big climb, big down and hopefully a big southland feed!
Day 5: Here the Tour Aotearoa makes a beeline for Invercargill. But some inside local knowledge tells us that the inside line is better. So we leave the official TA Route and ride directly south to Riverton the Riveria of the south.
Day 6: Did you think we were riding to Bluff? Well that was a bluff! Slope Point is the true most southern point of the south island - so that is where WE are going! Did someone say something about cake? Transfer to Invercargill for the 48th and final night of the tour.
Day 7: Our final breakfast together on the whole tour. Stay on and explore the region or travel on to Stewart Island. For those heading home transfer to Invercargill or Dunedin airports can be arranged.
*Actual night stops and daily distances may vary depending on accommodation availability.
+Bike Hire if required $250
- Any two consecutive sections - 5% off the tour prices.
- Full South Island. 24 days | NZD $9,300 | Bike Hire if required $750
- Full Tour Aotearoa. 49 days | NZD $18,200 | Bike Hire if required $1,200
Singles: You DON'T have to pay a single supplement!
- If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker.
- If you do not wish to share that is fine too, but a single supplement will apply.
Included in your tour:
- 6 nights accommodation
- Meals as per tour itinerary.
- Two Escape Adventures tour leaders
- Local support driver
- Support vehicle & bike trailer
Tour Price does NOT include: getting to and from Wanaka/Invercargill, optional activities, personal equipment & some meals as per the detailed itinerary.