Tour Aotearoa - Section 3
Whanganui to Wellington
Many Tour Aotearoa riders will tell you that this is their favourite section of the TA. Surprisingly quiet roads in surprisingly lovely rural New Zealand. Includes the Three Rivers Cycle Route, the Manawatu Cycleway, Remutaka Cycle Trail and the Martinborough wine region!
We have divided the 3000km Kennett Bros Tour Aotearoa into six 7-12 day sections so that you you can enjoy riding and exploring that section in detail - without the hassle of carrying your gear or finding food and accommodation. Our sections loosely follow this classic route and also include plenty of quirky extras, stop-overs and special places in the true Escape Adventures' style.
Section 3: Whanganui to Wellington
Many Tour Aotearoa riders will tell you that this is their favourite section of the TA. Surprisingly quiet roads in surprisingly lovely rural New Zealand. Includes the Three Rivers Cycle Route, the Manawatu Cycleway, Rimataka Cycle Trail and the Martinborough wine region!
- A total distance of 450km spread over 6 days of biking.
- 65-100km riding per day on wonderfully remote and scenic, quiet gravelled and sealed roads and cycle trails.
- Lots of rolling ups and downs, also some flat terrain.
- A hard tail mountain bike or a touring bike with off road tyres is the ideal bike.
- The route is designed for pedal bikers with a good level of biking fitness / or E-Bikes.
- Hire Bikes are available locally. Contact us if you plan on hiring a bike.
- Dirt/gravel road biking experience will add to the enjoyment of your tour.
- Our ‘Sag Wagon’ support is available (most of the time) should you need a break from the saddle.
We will organise the logistics, book accommodation and organise all included meals. Two of our awesome Escape Adventures tour leaders will ride with you, and provide daily briefings, first aid and mechanical support. Our trusty ’Sag Wagon’ support vehicle will carry your luggage, has lunch, snacks and water, and is there if you need a break from the saddle. There are times when the vehicle will need to take a different route and will meet up with you where it can. We will supply you with daily route notes and maps so that you can ride at your own pace throughout the day.
- Included in the tour: All breakfasts and riding snacks, three lunches and one dinner.
- The other meals (as per the daily itinerary below) are in places where there are dinning and wining options available - therefore at your own cost and choosing. (This gives you more control over the cost of your tour AND spreads the love supporting local businesses!)
- We are definitely able to cater for vegetarians and special diets and if this includes you, it is essential to advise us of this before your tour begins, so that the support vehicle can be stocked with the necessary supplies.
Typical Included Meals:
Breakfasts - Fresh fruit, muesli, toast and spreads, hot drinks. Cooked breakfast on occasions.
Lunches - Picnic style lunches, fresh salads, cold meats, cheese & bread.
Snacks - Fresh fruit, salty snacks, home baking.
Evening Meal - Prepared by your tour leaders or local accommodation.
All accommodation for the seven nights of the tour is included. We have explored and chosen the most fitting accommodation we could find to work in with the riding route. For this section we will be using cabins, motels, hotels and a lodge.
Accommodation is on a share twin basis. If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker. If you do not wish to share a single supplement will apply. Single room options may be limited in some locations.
Preparing for your cycle tour
This cycle tour includes rides of 65-100km per day. Please do read about the daily riding distances taking note of the riding terrain in the itinerary below and prepare accordingly. The more prepared you are the more you will enjoy your adventure! Preparing for your cycle tour should involve:
- riding on gravel, unpaved terrain with some hills.
- 2-3 times a week with rides of 30-50km in length.
Itinerary: Whanganui to Wellington
Day 1: Arrive in Whanganui. Meet with your tour leaders & fellow bikers at 5pm for your pre-departure meeting and first meal together.
Day 2: With a bit of a quirky start to the day we warm up heading east out of town on nice flat quiet farming road. It wouldn’t be NZ without a couple of hearty hills to get your heart happy before hunkering down at the Hunterville Hotel.
Day 3: How about a morning (or evening) walk around Hunterville - garden tour? The Three Rivers Route is a cleverly planned riding route that avoids traffic and show cases New Zealand rural roads with stunning gorges and single lane bridges in true kiwi style.
Day 4: This is not a cycle way… but very quiet backroads are the next best thing.. We can sometimes ride two a breast and take us all the way to Palmy.
Day 5: Leaving Palmy our legs spin like windmills as we crank over Paihitua track. What a wonderful thing a wind powered bike would be!
Day 6: If we get a northerly you’ll have a Porters Pino in your hand soon after lunch. If we ride into a southerly breeze you’ll just have to wait until dinner time!
Day 7: After a warm up on flat farm roads we meander up the Remutaka Cycle Trail through disused rail tunnels and take in other cool history. Then its down, down, down into the Hutt and cycle trail it all the way into the big smoke.
Day 8: Our final breakfast together on section 3. For those continuing on - a well earned rest day and we will take the ferry across the Cook Strait to Picton.
*Actual night stops and daily distances may vary depending on accommodation availability.
+Bike Hire if required $300
- Any two consecutive sections - 5% off the tour prices.
- Full North Island. 26 days | NZD $9,800 | Bike Hire if required $750
- Full Tour Aotearoa. 49 days | NZD $18,200 | Bike Hire if required $1,200
Singles: You DON'T have to pay a single supplement!
- If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker.
- If you do not wish to share that is fine too, but a single supplement will apply.
Included in your tour:
- 7 nights accommodation
- Meals as per tour itinerary.
- Two Escape Adventures tour leaders
- Local support driver
- Support vehicle & bike trailer
Tour Price does NOT include: getting to and from Whanganui/Wellington, optional activities, personal equipment & some meals as per the detailed itinerary.