Nelson & Marlborough Sounds.
Our Backyard #1
A 290km ride made up of some of our favourite, little used, off the beaten track, incredibly scenic and otherwise hard to get to riding routes in the Nelson and Marlborough region.
Our Nelson & Marlborough Sounds Cycle Tour is a 290km ride over 5 days (7 days including the arrival and departure days) made up of some of our favourite, little used, off the beaten track, incredibly scenic and otherwise hard to get to riding routes in our very own backyard!
Starting and finishing in Nelson city we make a bee line for the Sounds via the stunning over the tops route to French Pass village where we get to observe the infamous French Pass itself. We explore the best of the sounds by boat and bike, including an optional best section of the Queen Charlotte Track. A Marlborough cycle tour would not be complete without sampling some wines and we get to learn about the best, from the best in the business, then meander back to Nelson via the Great Taste Trail.
Tour Start: Nelson
Tour Finish: Nelson
- A total distance of 290km spread over 5 biking days.
- 27-100km riding per day on wonderfully remote and scenic, quiet gravelled and sealed roads and cycle trails.
- The Marlborough Sounds are made up of hills that rise up from the sea - the tour is mostly on undulating tops and rolling coastal terrain.
- A hardtail mountain bike or a touring bike with off road tyres is the ideal bike.
- This tour is ideal for pedal bikers who like hills / or E-Bikers.
- Please contact us if you plan on hiring a bike.
- Dirt/gravel road biking experience will very much add to the enjoyment of your tour.
- Our ‘Sag Wagon’ support is available (most of the time) should you need a break from the saddle.
This is a ‘Fully Supported’ cycle tour. We will organise the logistics, book accommodation and organise all included meals. Our awesome Escape Adventures tour leaders will ride with you, and provide daily briefings, first aid and mechanical support. Our trusty ’Sag Wagon’ support vehicle will carry your luggage, has lunch, snacks and water, and is there if you need a break from the saddle. There are times when the vehicle will need to take a different route and will meet up with you where it can.
Group Size: 6-14
- Included in the tour: All breakfasts, lunches and riding snacks and four evening meals.
- Two evening meals (as per the daily itinerary below) are in places where there are dinning and wining options available - therefore at your own cost and choosing. (This gives you more control over the cost of your tour AND spreads the love supporting local businesses!)
- We are most definitely able to cater for vegetarians and special diets and if this includes you, it is essential to advise us of this before your tour begins, so that the support vehicle can be stocked with the necessary supplies.
All accommodation for the 6 nights of the tour are included. We have explored and chosen the most fitting accommodation we could find to work in with the riding route, this includes hotels, villas and beachside cabins!
Accommodation is on a share twin basis. If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker. If you do not wish to share a single supplement will apply. Single room options may be limited in some locations.
Itinerary: Nelson to Nelson
Day 1: Arrive Nelson. Meet with your tour leaders & fellow bikers at 5pm in the bar area at the hotel for your pre-departure meeting and first meal together.
Day 2: We transfer out of Nelson city. On our bikes we take the high (and low) roads outto French Pass with stunning 360 degree views. Shorter option available. 66km.
Day 3: We gain a real insight into life in the Marlborough Sounds by sea and by land. Two short but perky rides brings us to the sheltered side where I promise you might just want to stay put for several days! 27km
Day 4: We follow the winding and rolling coastal road around the Keneperu Sound as it meanders to and from the coast, through farmland, coastal settlements and lovely regenerating bush. 54km
Day 5: In the morning you choose - single track or sealed road? We reunite and continue on to Picton. Vehicle transfer to our hotel. A Marlborough cycle tour would not be complete without sampling some of the local wines and we get to learn about the best, from the best in the business. 43km
Day 6: We begin the day with our feet up and a vehicle transfer inland to St Arnaud. But don’t get too relaxed! We’ve got a hundy to knock off today. Beginning with quiet country roads through farmland and forestry returning to Nelson city on the truly great Great Taste Cycle Trail. 100km.
Day 7: We enjoy a final breakfast together before making our various ways home or why not stay on and do more in the Nelson region?
+Bike Hire if required $250
+E-Bike Hire if required $600
Singles: You DON'T have to pay a single supplement!
- If you’re traveling alone, we’ll pair you to twin-share with another biker.
- If you do not wish to share that is fine too, but a single supplement will apply. Single Supplement if requested: $1,060
Included in your Tour:
- Vehicle transfer out of Nelson City
- Boat transfer through the Inner Sounds
- 6 nights accommodation
- Meals as per tour itinerary.
- Two Escape Adventures tour leaders
- Support driver
- Support vehicle & bike trailer
- Vehicle transfer up to St Arnaud
Tour Price does NOT include: getting to and from Nelson, optional activities, personal equipment & some meals as per the detailed itinerary.